Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I'm a new, could you tell me how this one works? She's 16

Hi, I'm a new, could...
Hi, I'm a new, could you tell me how this one works?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: She's 16 yrs old, Victoria, diabetes, she refuse to eat yesterday today
JA: I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the cat's name?
Customer: all of bloodwork done, local vet said her sugar level high / she takes shots 2 times/day Victoria she's American bobtail
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the American Bobtail?
Customer: not really, they're pretty healthy breed my main concern now is make her eat something
11/21/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

When was Victoria's blood work last done?

Are you still giving her the insulin injections ?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
yesterday, I don't have a copy with me, but the vet called me & explained that one of her kidney's enlarged
Creatine BuN has elevated
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Since she's not eating, I gave her only a unite this morning, last nite 2 unites
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Giving her Chicken broth with Egg york, she threw up

Ok so we are also dealing with some kidney insufficiency as well.

The problem with kidney disease and diabetes is that one can make the other worse and vice versa.

We need to get her in and get some fluids in her ( called subcutaneous fluids) and also get some medications injectable that will stop nausea.

The hard thing with diabetes is that they can go into diabetic shock which can cause these symptoms, but we can also see these symptoms with kidney disease.

Can you get Victoria into your veterinarian's today to get these treatments ( especially the anti nausea injections) ? We need to get her eating

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
You're a holistic vet, right?
She's on raw meat diet, probiotics, Salmon oil, multi-vitamin, Renadyl, Potassium, for kidney / Kidney Glandular goo

Do you have a glucometer at home ?

I do some holistic therapies but I marry western medicine with eastern so I do both.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
she had fluid yesterday, and 3 pm appointment for fluid too

Holistic therapies right now will not stop the nausea because they are all oral and so she will throw them up and also here are not many good anti nausea supplements we can give her at this point.

Did your veterinarian give her an injection called cerenia ? ( it is anti nausea that lasts 24 hours )

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I do have glucometer - haven't used it yet.
I'm going to record her sugar level from now on

Go ahead and get a reading for me

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Cerenia! I'll mention that to our vet.
Recently, switched to a new vet, she's really nice
Oh, she's under the bed and sleeps, we'll check her sugar at Vet office

I would also see if they can give her a vitamin B injection give her immune system a boost and can help increase appetite and is holistic

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I was going to ask vt.b injection / most clinic has it, right?

Good luck with Victoria. Hopefully with one injection of the anti nausea and continued fluids we can get her to rights quickly before the Holiday.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you!!! Happy Thanksgiving =)

To you as well and you are most welcome

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian