Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has pancreatitis, last liapase test was 7.5. She is…

Customer Question
Hi my cat has...

Hi my cat has pancreatitis, last liapase test was 7.5. She is presently on Summit Mirtazapine 40/mg/ml Ear Gel (1 ml) every 48 hours x 10 days for appetite stimulant. Also taking Summit GATAPENTIN , .25 ml every 12 hours at the bottom says 100mg/ml and at very end (7ml) Just want second opinion on if these are the correct doses and if they are compatable Cat is 10 years old and weighs 3.40 k

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Princess

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Princess?

Yes vet suggested she could have Triaditis, but for sure pancreatitis, Medication does seem to be working as she is eating better than she has in 5 months, just want to be sure on the dosage and compatibility of the 2 medicines, Also she gets B12 shots once a week

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

First, I need to clarify 2 things.

1. Are you actually giving 1.0 ml of the Mirtazapine or, 0.1 ml every 48 hours?

2. The second medication is Gabapentin, for pain, correct?

Thank you.

Sorry I am giving .1 ml every 48 hours Did u get pics of pressure that I texted to this number
2nd med is 4 psin

Phew, thank you. That was a pretty high dose if she was getting 40 mg every 48 hours.

I am sorry, but no pictures came through. But the doses are perfectly suited for Princess to remain pain free & maintain her appetite. The 2 medications are often given together, & the fact that they ae given by separate routes of administration, makes it even safer.

I think the 1 ml refers to how much is in the package, so giving 0.1 ml every other day for 10 days, you should only use 0.5 ml of the gel. If your vet meant to use all the gel, then you should finish it up in about 20 days ( given that some of it will stay stuck in the package ).

With the Gabapentin, 1/2 ml daily should last about 14 days.