Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 6 moth kitty had a URI. He must of caught it from his…

Customer Question
Hello my 6 moth...

Hello my 6 moth kitty had a URI. He must of caught it from his foster home before I adopted him as there were over 15 cats there. Seems that it cleared up however he is still sleeping a majority of the time and is not playing. he attempts to eat, gets excited to eat however when he gets to the bowl sniffs it or just looks at it. I have tried all the tricks. It's been 3 weeks in total for the URI. Is it possible he still has a stuffy nose? He sneezes here and there. I started giving him Saline drops. He was on Clavamox and it seems since he started that, he just wasn't himself. I stopped giving him it after he was itching constantly. The bottle was almost done. I started to give him Duralactin Feline L-lysine he's been on it 3 days. I decided to give him the remaining Clavamox he had left cause I know you're not suppose to stop meds. Last night he actually was incognet for the 1st time ever. Could this be the result of the meds? He doesn't have a fever and I've been syringe feeding him to ensure that he eats. He picks his hard food here and there and will lick the wet food. He's good on fluids. Poor guy was skinny when I got him like 3.5 pounds at 4-5 months so I got him up to 5. Not sure because he was already fragile and had gone through a hard time for me that he was bound to get this hard. When we brought him home he was happy and played non stop. I think because he because relaxed the cold came out in him like a month later.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the kitten's name?

G2. yes the vet said a URI

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
He does get up and walks around and runs when I get up for food. He just seems to be quiet and not the silly little kitty he was running all around like mad.
11/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Sometimes viral respiratory and bacterial infections can colonize the lungs as well and not just the upper respiratory tract. When this occurs we can see symptoms like you are describing. Clavamox can make them have an upset stomach so it also me be worth switching to a different antibiotics or even trying an injectable one called convenia.

These kittens also get dehydrated so if you know how to give subcutaneous fluids that will help a lot.

I also would recommend taking chest X-rays to check for pneumonia especially since these symptoms have been going on for 3 weeks.

If you veterinarian has a nebulizing machine I would also consider getting him breathing treatments every hour for 10-15 minutes at your veterinarian's clinic that can really help get them over the hump of these types of diseases.

You can also consider getting a culture and sensitivity done on the his nasal discharge.

I also sometimes give these cats vitamin B injections to help boost their immune system.

There is also a medication called cerenia that can help clear up nasal inflammation

These infections can be quite stubborn and require different therapies to get them cleared up so we just have to try different things

I would also consider starting an oral appetite stimulant called mirtazpine every 72 hours to help try and get him eating

Good luck with G2.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

How is G2 doing? I never heard back from you

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian