Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has catereacts, is there any thing I can do for him,

Customer Question
My cat has catereacts...

My cat has catereacts, is there any thing I can do for him, drops maybe

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?

He has caterscts , is there anything I can do for him, drops mYBE

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

HE DOESN'T SEEM TO HURT , HIS EYES ARE GETTING CLOUDY AND HE CAN'T SEE AS WELL.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?

BLUE , AND HE IS 15

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

BLUE bOY

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

If the cloudy part of the eye is the cornea (front of the eye) then that is typically fluid build up in the cornea or ulceration of the corneas.

Cataracts is cloudiness behind the iris (colored part of the eye). Cataracts may be caused by a variety of underlying pathologic processes in cats, including nutritional disorders, genetic factors,trauma,metabolic disorders,exposure to radiation,and intraocular inflammation. The most common cause of cataracts in cats is uveitis (inflammation of the front part of the eye) secondary to systemic disease. Uveitis may cause cataract formation or a cataract may develop following lens luxation, which is common with uveitis. Cats with chronic uveitis disease may be presented with luxated, cataractous lenses.

Cataract formation secondary to diabetes mellitus is rare in cats.

The best way to determine what is causing the change to the eye is to see a veterinarian. They will do a fluorescein stain and check the pressures in the eyes. Depending on what they find with the exam, there are many different types of treatment. Please ask any follow up questions. If you do not have a regular veterinarian, please post your city and state and I will be happy to help you find one. Take care.