Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat looked a bit lethargic this morning. She had eaten…

Customer Question
Hi. My cat looked...

Hi. My cat looked a bit lethargic this morning. She had eaten normally last night. This am uncharacteristically she didn't eat her wet food. (She had eaten her dry food earlier in the am.)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Now in the pm she looks quite sick/not normal. Isn't moving. She doesn't respond to petting and looks extremely sleepy or ill. We've had her for years and both my wife and I think she looks really strange. She is normally obsessive about eating. She has been outside all day which is very uncharateristic. Like never happens. Her name is ***** ***** she is 5 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boo?

Her coat looks ok. Eyes look ok beyond looking lethargic/sad/out of it. She really just started acting strange today although maybe we missed.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello. I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question.
I am so sorry to hear about Boo.
I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
there are so many reasons why a cat will exhibit these types of symptoms. There is nothing that is specific for any one disease based on her clinical signs. If she is an indoor/outdoor cat then the list of possibilities goes up as far to things that could be potential causes. When they go outside they are exposed to so many other things such as infectious diseases, foreign bodies, toxins, trauma etc.
If you don't think that any of these things are a possibility then we have to look at potential internal causes.
My biggest concern is that she is obviously very sick. There are times on this website that I can make recommendations about treating at home but in this case,
It may be a little more difficult.
You can certainly try to offer her some moist food or something bland like low sodium chicken broth, chicken Gerber baby food and you can try to give some pepcid AC, famotidine 2.5 mg twice daily for stomach upset and see if it helps.
If things are not improving by tomorrow and she seems much worse, then I would strongly suggest that you have her examines And consider having some blood work done.
Please keep me posted on how she is doing. I think you can watch and wait and see how she does, but if not improving, she needs to be checked.I hope that helps.
Please let me know if you need anything else.
If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian