Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

She is getting matted fur alot, she is 17. Purrrl. Her check

Customer Question
She is getting matted fur...
She is getting matted fur alot, she is 17
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Purrrl
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Purrrl?
Customer: Her check up was good recently, but has dental issues, lost atooth
Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
We also just inherited a young boy cat that she is not too happy about!
11/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 22 days ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

I'm glad Purrrl was found in good heath, except for her dental issues.

This is not uncommon in senior cats, because either they are too overweight to groom all over, and/or they may have some arthritis, so it hurts to reach certain places, while grooming.

Also, her fur may be coarse/dry if she's not drinking enough and is slightly dehydrated. Getting a cat drinking fountain may help, because cats love drinking from a moving source.

First, make sure the food she is eating is mainly high quality canned food and if she loves dry food, you can leave a measured amount out for between meal 'grazing', which cats love, and at night. I would give her 3 meals of the canned food. You can add extra Omega 3's to her diet, by putting some salmon oil over her food. They sell this in pet stores or you can order online; here is an example:

http://www.grizzlypetproducts.com/grizzly-salmon-oil/

------------

To have the mats removed, it would be best to have your vet do it with clippers and then, afterwards, make sure to comb/brush your kitty twice a day.

Yes, typically, older cats are not too happy about the energetic antics of younger cats. He probably bothers her, just because he wants to play and she, at her age, just wants to sleep or relax for most of the day. Try to enrich the younger cat's environment with a tall cat tree or kitty condo and several toys, some he can play with by himself and some interactive ones, you can play with WITH him, to keep him busy. Make sure she has a 'safe' place where he can't bother her.

I hope all will be well with Purrrl (sorry, I couldn't tell if it was 'Purrrl' or 'Purrri')and you are able to bring her in to have those mats removed.

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition by the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher

Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 14 days ago

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your kitty. My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist