Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat seems to be eating less and drinking less water. All…

Customer Question
My cat seems to...

My cat seems to be eating less and drinking less water. All she wants to do is sleep and she has lost some weight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

I took a stray kitten in while I try to find a new home for it. They are separated and I'm wondering if maybe it's stress? She is about 10 or so and her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?

No she is totally a indoor cat

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your girl Stella isn't feeling well, is not eating well long enough to lose weight, and is lethargic.

It's tough to tell if she is lethargic because she is weak from not eating well, or if that is part of whatever is causing her not to eat well in the first place.

Cats can stop eating well for a day or two related to stress, but that should not last long enough to lose weight.

Loss of appetite can be related to eating something she should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland) with internal organ failure, primary organ failure, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Because she hasn't eaten normally in several days and she is noticeably losing weight I am very concerned about her. If she isn't drinking well either she will quickly become dehydrated, and as her liver breaks down fats for energy to live she may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis. This is fatty liver disease caused by overwhelming the liver with fats being broken down for energy to live when they don't eat such that it cannot perform normal functions. This is a secondary disease, but it can be deadly and needs to be aggressively managed.

Ideally she would see a veterinarian tomorrow morning since this has been going on for more than 72 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her.

In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.

Tonight there are some things you can try at home.

At home to try and settle her stomach and hope to improve her appetite you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous so that she will eat. They are quite safe and can be used long term if necessary.

You can use a medicine syringe to try and force water into her orally.

A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

If she continues to not eat she should see her veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

It all started when I put the stray in the bathroom. Stella typically only likes to drink water from the facet. She was okay for a day or so but when she meowing to get into the bathroom it's like she sounds like she is going crazy. She stopped for a day or so but it has started again.

So stress is playing a part in this, but it more likely that she had some sort of low level disease process going on and stress brought it to the forefront.

If she only likes to drink out of the faucet in the bathroom she is very likely dehydrated since she isn't able to do that now. That will definitely worsen any sort of internal organ disease.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****