Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has the very same problems with gulping as another…

My cat has the very...
My cat has the very same problems with gulping as another person posted. Vet can't find anything wrong other than her white count is very low. All other blood work was fine. But, my cat has not eaten going on 10 days. She is now showing signs of lethargy but doesn't seem to be in pain. Vet gave me hairball med which she will lick off my finger and an antibiotic shot (which I think was unnecessary) My cat pretty much fresh tuna & salmon. (she ate better than me, ha) but could this be a mercury overdose? She has not thrown up, not eating anything and drinking very little
Answered in 1 day by:
11/22/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Dr. Salkin...I have another appt today with my local vet in an hour. The only thing she said last Thurs., was we could x-ray but she didn't know if that would show anything. My cat is 15. Could this just be end of life? Do they just stop eating when they are ready to die? Only abnormal blood work was the low white count. Tiger has been healthy, weights 18 lbs but just stopped eating and drinking. I don't think she can swallow. Recommendations??

Glenda, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, the signs of mercury poisoning in cats may include over-excitement, irritability, incoordination, convulsions, stiff hind legs, tremors and blindness. Profound anorexia and "gulping" should be investigated by imaging - X-rays and ultrasound of Tiger Shrinp's gastrointestinal tract. Diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests rarely are informative for GI disorders. A very low white blood cell count is a negative prognosticator because cats have a large bone marrow storage of white blood cells and so leukopenia (a lack of white blood cells) is usually caused by excessive tissue consumption of neutrophils (one of the white blood cells) during severe inflammation and/or reduced bone marrow production.

Yes, every day is a gift at her age. Even if I found the cause of her malaise by imaging, there's a good chance that I wouldn't be able to do much about it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I will question the vet about an ultrasound and x-rays again. I'm just not sure Tiger is ready to die. I feel there is a gastro problem. I just don't want to put her through a battery of tests at her age if that is all it is...old age. The low white count concerns me. Vet said her bone marrow could not be producing new white cells. Maybe I'll get some answers at todays visit. Thank you for your input.

Old age isn't a disease but there are many disorders that are more prevalent in old age. These include degenerative conditions such as chronic renal and hepatic insufficiency as well as age-related malignancies. Yes, please discuss imaging. I would be happy to review what transpires today with you if you wish. You can bookmark this page for ease of return to our conversation.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Hi Glenda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tiger Shrimp. How is everything going?