Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Six is 6 months old and has had pale grey soft stools since…

Six is 6 months...

Six is 6 months old and has had pale grey soft stools since we brought her home at 10 weeks. They smell really awful too, especially for a kitten, What are the possible causes?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

Arielle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Arielle?

She was littered on rural farm property but only in the home

11/21/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

C​occidia is a gastrointestinal parasite that cause diarrhea and lighter colored stools. It would have to be diagnosed with a fecal exam under the microscope and is treated with a medication called albon.

W​orms can cause diarrhea as well. You normally do not see the worms in the stool unless your kitten is severely infested with worms. That is diagnosed with a fecal test as well. The treatment is a dewormed called "pyrantal pamoate" and three doses are given 3 weeks apart.

G​iardia is another parasite that can cause diarrhea. A bacterial infection can cause diarrhea as well and it is common for causing a very bad odor. The vet would also look for abnormal bacteria on a fecal test using a microscope. Antibiotics would be prescribed as needed. So as you may have determined a fecal test would be very important at this point to determine the cause. Otherwise you may just be guessing as to the cause and treatment and you may be wrong.

D​oes that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions for me? If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars at the top of the screen. Many Thanks

OK I will make an appointment with our veterinarian for here.
Thank you

Y​ou are very welcome. While she has diarrhea it can be helpful to feed her plain cooked chicken meat instead of cat food. That is easier to digest until her stools are normal.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian