Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My daughters hamster is over 2, and loosing get all her

Customer Question
My daughters hamster is...

My daughters hamster is over 2, and loosing get all her hair. My mother in law c swears it's mange I think she's crazy. The hamster is elderly, and symptom free othervwise. Help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name?

Coco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

Nope, very healthy friendly hamster up till now. Is still eating well.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I am still waiting has been an hour
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr B, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you...do you still need an answer?

ok, I am preparing your answer...

The hamster has been loosing hair for about a week, fine other wise, but over 2.

Hamsters live on average for two to three years. As they age, they will exhibit many of the same signs of aging as their human owners. Thinning hair, decreased activity, loss of appetite and vision problems are among the indications that a pocket pet is in the midst of his golden years. These can occur in any order and not necessarily all at once.

One of the first signs of old age in hamsters is a decrease in energy. An aging hamster will not spend as much time running in his exercise wheel or around his cage as he did in the past. This decline in activity will accompany an increase in the amount of time he spends sleeping; you will notice that he rises later in the day and retires earlier as well.

As hamsters age, their hair will become more fine and sparse. You may be able to see sections of his skin through his thinning coat, which will appear dry and flaky over time. These conditions are normal signs of the aging process. You can help keep your pocket pet more comfortable and warm by providing extra bedding to his cage once you notice these fur changes.

As they continue to age, your hamster will lose interest in food to a certain degree; you may notice he makes fewer trips to his food dish. When he does grab some food, he will likely place fewer items in his cheek pouch to hoard for a future meal. As a result of his lower caloric consumption, your hamster will become thinner and more frail as time goes on. You can offer softer foods to supplement your hamster's diet, such as small amounts of scrambled and hard-boiled eggs and even cucumber.

Arthritis is also a common sign of old age in hamsters, just as it is in most mammals. It is characterized by swollen and painful joints; you may notice that your hamster seems to be having difficulty walking, with slower and jerkier movements. If you have items in the cage that your hamster used to climb, remove them so he doesn't injure himself.

This is part of your answer...more is coming...

Hamsters can also lose fur due to five main common reasons:

1.Friction

Does your pet spend a lot of time rubbing against his cage or toys? Is your little furball obsessed with burrowing? Excessive friction can cause Hamsters to lose fur.

2.Nutritional Deficiencies

Another common reason for hamsters to lose fur is nutritional deficiencies. If your hamsters diet is low in B Vitamins, this could the reason be behind his fur loss. Lack of protein can also sometimes cause issues with hamsters’ fur. If this is the case, supplementing your hamster's food with specific items, such as unsweetened cereal, cheese, cooked eggs, whole-wheat pasta, and fresh fruits and veggies. 3.Parasites

Ticks, fleas, ringworm, and mites can all cause your little pet to lose fur. Hamsters with ectoparasites may itch and scratch themselves excessively, which can cause some of that soft fur to fall out.

4.Shedding

Hamsters shed, or moult regularly. Spring and fall tend to be the peak times for this process. It is normal to see periods of thin fur at this time. Syrian and Russian hamsters tend to shed more than the Chinese and Roborovski types do.

5.Other Causes

There are several medical reasons your hamster could lose fur. T-cell lymphoma and kidney inflammations are two possible causes. Hormonal imbalances can also cause your little furball to lose some hair. Hamsters also sometimes lose their fur due to old age.

I would strongly suggest a trip to a local exotic vet to get the reason for the hair loss worked out...as you see many causes are possible. Can I answer any other questions for you?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

mange is out now the question correct, all other animals are fine.

If the rest of the hamsters have no symptoms then mange is very very unlikely.....

Can I answer any other questions for you?

If you have no other questions for me I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much! DRB