Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

hang on, forgot to attach the first pic
11/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Sorry for the delay. I was out trying to kill myself hiking on the Pacific Crest trail yet again.

These still look like histiocytomas. When more than one is present at the same time histiocytosis is diagnosed. I don't remember if one were needle aspirated and a diagnosis confirmed.

nope, never aspirated any of them
he is getting all of these, why?

That should be done. Treatment for histiocytosis involves an immunosuppressive dose of a glucocorticoid (steroid) and this isn't something I would want to do unless it were absolutely necessary. We don't know the cause but it's though to represent a reactive - not neoplastic - process.

yeah, no steroids for the little geek...
Have you always been a psycho, I mean avid hiker? or is this a post retirement craze?

I started this while living on the Big Island of Hawaii. Hiked all over the volcano. Got addicted. It's free (except for the gas), great exercise, and I see places I've never seen before.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Well, your probably in better shape than men half your age. So there's that....:)

I'd say men of any age. I do some crazy stuff. I figure I'd rather die on a trail than in a hospital bed.

Thank you once again. Keep me posted, please.

Even better.....I hope you hike with someone, it's dangerous solo.

You're right. That's unlikely with my schedule but I do let my daughter, a friend, and my JA moderator know where I'm going.