Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 18 year old male Himalayan howls most of the night. I've…

Customer Question
My 18 year old...

My 18 year old male Himalayan howls most of the night. I've had him checked by a vet and he has beginnings of kidney disease. I feed him canned science diet k/d cat food and he's slowly losing weight. I know we give him way to many cat treats too. He's drinking water and peeing and pooping okay. He sleeps a lot during the day. We've tried leaving a light and radio on at night but it's not working. Also leaving food out for him but he doesn't eat it all the time. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Chamois.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chamois?

I think his thyroid level may be a little elevated. I'll have to check.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. My first thought is that he does have hyperthyroidism. If his thyroid value was even just a little elevated, it is hyperthyroidism and most likely the cause of his symptoms. It is possible he could be suffering from some form of cognitive dysfunction, or dementia as well given his age. I would make sure your vet check his thyroid and make sure it doesn't need to be rechecked. If elevated, I would start to treat for that, but I would monitor his kidney function closely because often hyperthyroidism masked chronic kidney disease, so if numbers are mildly elevated, they may elevate even more once the blood pressure is regulated by treating the hyperthyroidism. It may help to see if your vet thinks he may benefit from anti-anxiety medication as well if his thyroid value is normal. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Chamois is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian