Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is 11 years old....has never been to a vet and is a

Customer Question
She is 11 years...

She is 11 years old....has never been to a vet and is a inside cat. The cat groomer that comes to our house said her back end was a mess and thinks she may have a urinary tract infection. She is doing a lot of licking in the area as well....but is eating and drinking fine and I can tell she is using her litter box.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Sunny

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sunny?

No she has been healthy the entire time we have had her. She hasn't left this house for 11 years since the day we brought her home.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I​s the hind end being a mess a new thing? Is she urinating more than usual or are the smaller spots of urine in the box rather than larger spots of urine? Could you have a mobile vet come to your house?

Well the Cat groomer told me the last time she came that her hind end was a mess....but she wasn't acting different so I just figured maybe she had gotten into something and had a bit of diarrhea to make it like that. So when the groomer came back a few weeks ago she mentioned it again and said she thought she may have a UTI or possibly her anal glands could be impacted? I did notice yesterday that on this blanket she sleeps on was a few light brown stains. The urine in the box looks possibly a little smaller but not much. Is their any antibiotics I could get online from a reputable place that I could try? I am not sure about a mobile vet.....
No. They do not sell antibiotics over the counter. It would be illegal for a vet to prescribe antibiotics without examining the patient in person. Plus the antibiotics for a urinary tract infection would be different than an antibiotic for the rectal area.
It sounds like it could be a diarrhea or anal leakage problem. That could cause it to be messy over the hind end and inflammation.
Impacted anal glands means the drainage ducts are blocked and the glands are too full. Because nothing can come out the often scoot. In addition if the drainage ducts are blocked nothing should be coming out and staining the blanket.
If the rectal area is red or inflamed you can apply over the counter hydrocortisone cream twice a day. It is not toxic if ingested but you could buy an ecollar at Petsmart store to prevent the licking.
Normally with a urinary tract infection they go in and out of the box to urinate frequently. There may be blood in the urine as well.
if there is no improvement then she will need to go to a vet or have a vet come to your house. Maybe the groomer can recommend someone.
I hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions I may assist you with. If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars. Many Thanks