Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

How much? 8 month old kitten has become lethargic but she is…

Customer Question
8 month old kitten...

8 month old kitten has become lethargic but she is eating and drinking

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?

Monkey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Monkey?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 5 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Sorry for the delay. Many experts are online at different times on various days. Your patience is appreciated!

First, it would help me to know:

When did this lethargy begin for Monkey?

Does she spend any time outdoors?

Is she spayed?

Did she get a vaccination recently?

Any vomiting or diarrhea or trouble urinating?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply I will send your detailed, personalized answer.

Best regards,

Cher

About a week now, no shots yet but am waiting for her appointment on Dec 12th for all of shots and fixed.
She goes out but only until I catch her, I've been trying to keep her in, but I also have 5 more kittens that someone dumped in my yard!

Thanks for your very helpful reply.

I guess people in your neighborhood decided your the 'cat lady!'

I definitely agree with making Monkey an indoor-only cat; block the door when you go in and out and don't let her slip out.

I'm glad you have an appointment for her, to have her vaccinations and be spayed on December 12th. If she has gone through any heat cycles yet, she may be prone to develop a serious uterine infection called 'pyometra.' This is typically treated by having the kitty spayed, asap.

There are many causes for lethargy and they can include an infection in the body, ingesting a non-food item or toxic substance, being in contact with other kittens/cats who may have diseases that she has no immunity to, yet, because she's not vaccinated. I hope she hasn't been in contact with the 5 kittens that were dumped in your yard!

If she's eating and drinking as usual, that's good, but as you know, kittens are boundless balls of energy, so if she's lethargic, the reason has to be determined and then she can be treated, if necessary. I would suggest that you get her in to see her vet before Dec. 12th, and get a diagnosis for this lethargy. You will want her to be treated for whatever is causing this, so that she's not 'sick' on the day of her surgery, or it will need to be postponed.

For the moment, make sure she stays in, has no contact with the other kittens, and rub some honey onto her gums and put some on her tongue; she may be hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and this may perk her up. Also, check the color of her gums to make sure they're light pink, as they should be (unless she's a cat with naturally black gums, due to her markings). If they appear very pale, like white-ish, she could be anemic and this can be due to fleas, if she's not receiving a monthly topical flea treatment sold by your vet. (don't ever buy flea treatments in the supermarket or pet stores, unless the pet store sells the same brands the vet carries, like Advantage or Frontline, as those others have been known to not be effective and cause dangerous health side effects, some even fatal!). Even if you don't see any fleas or she's not scratching, if she has spent time outside, she should be on a monthly topical flea treatment.

Try to re-home the 5 kittens or bring them to a cat rescue organization or no-kill shelter or even to a vet's office that offers kittens for adoption--some have a few cages in the waiting room with kittens waiting for a forever home.

I hope all will be well with Monkey and please update me on how she's doing, after she sees the vet. Thanks!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition by the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist