Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is over grooming to the point of pulling hair. I have…

Customer Question
My cat is over...

My cat is over grooming to the point of pulling hair. I have already taken him to the vet and he was given steroids and antibiotic. He has a cone on but he Is still able to lick his bottom area. If I take it off, he continues to over groom but in the neck area. The vet also prescribed amiltriptaline but I do not know how to give it to him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Crush and he is 8 There us no recent change in his routine or environment is*

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Crush

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Crush?

He lives with 4 other cats

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Are there any sores on the skin, or does it just look like the hair is shaved close?

With the amitriptyline, are you saying there are no instructions on dosing and frequency, or you just don't know how to physically give it? It is pills or liquid form?

Thank you so much for getting back to me! The spots he has are like a close shave. If the cone is off he’ll bite himself to the pain of breaking skin. The amitriptyline is in pill form and he won’t take it in food or pill pocket. I don’t know how to physically give it to him.

Thanks for the information. With his symptoms this is most likely a behavioral/anxiety issue called psychogenic alopecia, especially if there wasn't any response to steroids or antibiotics, and it didn't get worse on those medications either. I would talk to your vet about getting the amitriptyline compounded into a liquid form. It would make it easier to give to her. I have had more success with fluoxetine (Prozac) for this issue. It can also be compounded into a liquid form. Often the liquid is easier to give, and it can be flavored with things like chicken or tuna to make it more palatable. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Hello. I was just following up to see how Crush is doing and to see if you have any other questions.