Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

She has lost 8.6 lb in 5 mo. she is having loose stools and…

Customer Question
She has lost 8.6...

She has lost 8.6 lb in 5 mo. she is having loose stools and her tummy constantly gurgles...still has good appetite... nice coat is short hair occ bile emesis plays with the other cat running and playing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Abbie and she is 7yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Abbie?

7 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abbie?

Never had any problems i adopted her 6 yrs ago

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What color are the stools? Any blood?

How often (daily, weekly, etc) has she been vomiting?

Has she been drinking more?

Are her gums pink, yellow tinted or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Gums moist. Drinking the same. Stools med brown but loose and smell worse than usual. She vomits small at of yellow bile every 7 to 10 days small amt

Hello again,

First, I do have to note that if Abbie has had loose stool (a sign of reduced GI absorption of nutrients), this will be what is causing her to lose weight despite eating well. Just to note, the vomiting/stomach gurgling likely is a secondary nausea from the lower GI signs inflaming the gastrointestinal tract. With regards ***** ***** for what we are seeing at her age, we'd be wary of a chronic bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, IBD, GI cancer, or dietary indiscretions.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her gut. To start, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Furthermore, if she is very loose, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Finally, do make sure she is up to date on worming so we can rule worms out for her. There are a range of OTC wormer options, but Fenbendazole/Panacur would be ideal since it covers for worms as well as some protozoa. And finally, just to note, if we can get her stools more formed, we can then think about feeding a nutrient rich food like canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and that way we can just get more into her per bite to help get that lost weight back on her.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care. If she doesn’t respond to the above within a few days; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat with antibiotics +/- anti=protozoals or for IBD if found to get her settled and let us get some weight on her before she fades away before our eyes.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian