Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 7 year old female tabby does not appear to have pooped or…

Hello. My 7 year...

Hello. My 7 year old female tabby does not appear to have pooped or urinated anywhere in the past 3 days. She is eating and drinking normally and is as active and playful as she usually is. Does not appear to be in any pain. So, I'm just stumped. I just had a cat pass away, so I'm wondering if this may be her grief response. Long shot . I know.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the tabby's name?

Junior.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Junior?

She has had no medical problems and is healthy, stocky and robust. Maybe a tad overweight, but otherwise very playful active, sweet and cuddly kitty.

11/20/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Have you seen her strain like she needs to pass urine or stool?

I see she doesn't look sore, but if you press firmly on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Does she have any outdoor access?

sorry it took me so long to respond. I didn't have the answer about pain or tenderness in her belly and had to wait until I got home to examine her, but there was no need. Because lo and behold after three whole days of nothing, there was a big ole clomp in the litter box when I got home. I have never been so happy to see cat poop in all my life. LOL. So it seems all is well. Thank you so much for the quick response. This is such a valuable service, and I'm so glad I found it. Happy Holidays to you. L.

No worries, though I do apologize for being delayed in my own reply (as I am sure you can appreciate during the week I've my own patients to care for).

In any case, that is great news to hear that she did go as 3 days is a bit too long (especially for urine). Now even though Junior has gone, I do want to leave some treatment options if you ever find her in this situation again.

Now we cannot push them to urinate and if they cannot pass urine despite trying (especially male cats as they can block), then we need them seen urgently. Though for constipation, we do have a few options. First, if we did need to give her a push to pass stool, you can start by offering some milk. We do find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along if she has mild constipation. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. And that may be a treatment to use periodically to keep her regular.

Furthermore, another regularity step would be to increase dietary fiber. So, you can mix some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into some canned food. It will be easier to offer but also will ensure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). Also do encourage her to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure that she has fresh water and you can even offer low salt chicken broth or lactose free milk if you need to encourage her more.

So, hopefully we won't see any more of an issue here for Junior, but just in case these would be some options to use at home if needed.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you. I will keep all of this for future reference if needed.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian