Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have an 19 year old cat with IBD, high blood pressure and…

Customer Question
I have an 19 year...
I have an 19 year old cat with IBD, high blood pressure and arthritis .For the past couple of weeks, his stomach has been upset and he would barely eat. I took him to the vet and he had blood work because they wanted to make sure he is not having kidney issues due to being on Amlodpine for high blood pressure. His blood work came back perfect, the vet said his blood work is like what they would expect of a 12 year old cat , not a 19 year old . He was impressed. He has lost almost a pound in weight in the last week from not really eating much. He also is chronically congested in his nose from allergies, and his right ear gets a wax buildup that I have to clean out every day and I get him nebulized once a week.So yesterday on Nov 18th at the vet he was given SQ fluids, an injection of cerenia, injection of Famotadine and an injection of Depo Merol/DexHe came home and had a bowel movement, ate a tiny portion of food, and then he didn't ask for food until several hours later. I only have been giving him boiled chicken and baby food. He will eat it sometimes, but other times acts like his stomach is still upset and not eat.Today he has not had a bowel movement, is drinking more water and walked away when I tried to reintroduce a little cat food . He looks a little greasy at times. his stomach has some rumbling off and on. It seems if I give him infant gas drops that does help some. He is quite active today, he is awake and interested in what is going on around him. He even wanted to go outside on the patio . He is an indoor cat. and only goes out for a few minutes with me.My question is how long should it take for the steroid injection to work? The vet told me it should make him hungry and want to eat. And what else can I possibly do to help get his stomach back on track so he will eat his regular food.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I'm wondering if my question is actually getting looked at because I put in to have it right away answered and it has been a couple of hours
11/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Can you share a copy of the bloodwork results from the most recent panel? Is he on any medication at this time aside from the injectable Depo/Dex?