Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat seems to have a black spot on the roof of his mouth.

Customer Question
Second opinion] My cat seems...
Second opinion] My cat seems to have a black spot on the roof of his mouth. Is that something to worry abo ut
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Still there
11/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 months ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected before continuing

There can be some normal areas of hyperpigmentation (black or dark areas) in the roof o the mouth (hard palate).

However, if it appears like it is growing in size or is raising off the surface of the palate like a raised growth or tumor, than it is of concern.

Because of its location, a vet would not be able to easily sample it without sedation or anesthesia.

So, I would just start with a good physical examination, maybe some sedation to get a good look (might not be needed). If the vet is concerned at all, they might suggest getting a tissue biopsy.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?