Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He has really bad breath he is drooling not eating and

Customer Question
He has really bad...

He has really bad breath he is drooling not eating and inside his mouth on his tounge looks sore and his mouth is very red under his tongue

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name and age?

Teddy he is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?

No it only started today

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I​s he drinking as usual? Does he seem distressed or is he pawing at his mouth?

He does nt seem distressed not eating or drinking tho and not pawing
I can’t call can you respond please

T​hank you. So in terms of needing to go to the emergency clinic if he is drooling non-stop or not drinking for 12 hours he is going to dehydrate. So in that case he does need to see the emergency clinic vet tonight. He may have a mouth infection or he may have gotten something irritating in his mouth.

H​e is going to need a good oral exam, antibiotics, and possibly an anti-inflammatory or pain medication. Cats can not take over the counter pain medication as it is toxic to them.

He has only had this for a few hours I did get some liquid into him
He sounds like he is grinding his teeth a bit

If he only had it for a few hours then he may have gotten something caustic in his mouth. It is common to see acute redness if they bite an electrical cord.

What do I do about that he let me look in his mouth and it looks like a white area on side of his tongue and under his toy looks dark red a bit bloody

What do I do about that he let me look in his mouth and it looks like a white area on side of his tongue and under his toy looks dark red a bit bloody? This is not something you can treat at home. He needs a vet exam and most likely antibiotics and pain medication. Even if he will let you look the bad smell means there is either damaged tissue or infection or both.

Ok it’s middle of night here so I will take him in the morning

Oh sorry. I did not know it was the middle of the night.

uk I’m just worrying

Y​es, take him into the vet first thing in the morning. If he starts to paw at his mouth non-stop or seems very uncomfortable then you could take him into the ER vet. But if it has just been going on for a couple hours he should be able to wait a few more hours.

He is purring away just not eating

It is common for a pet to bite an electric cord and get a mouth or tongue burn. Those smell pretty bad. That is something that can happen acutely. It can be treated though.

I​f he was eating earlier today the I would think he can go over night without eating. If you are worried about his blood sugar you could put some honey in his mouth. But if he were mine I would wait until after he sees the vet to feed him.

D​o you have any other questions or concerns I may assist you with right now?

Thank u I will just very odd he has been out all day then came home and a bit drooly it’s not running just a bit wet uder his mouth , unlike him not to eat he tries but it looks like he can’t then he skulls off he is still loving a fuss and purring so he is not distressed it’s just very odd
How would I give him the honey
He had some cat milk too I never give that but was willing to try it for him

I​f he was out all day there is a good chance he had some kind of trauma to the mouth and the inflammation is kicking in now. You can put the honey on you finger and rub a little on his gums. He does not need much.

Ok I will do that he lets me touch his mouth he’s a good boy , his breath really smells a bit like dog food you can smell it when you are not close thank you very much

I think the vet can help him in the morning. You are very welcome. Hope you can get some sleep.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Hi he had severed his tongue so luckily I took him in is on the mend now tho after some stitches

I​ am so glad you took him in right away and he is on the mend.