Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

This morning I noticed my cat had slimy stuff around his…

Customer Question
This morning I noticed...

This morning I noticed my cat had white slimy stuff around his mouth and just now I checked on him and he had drool hanging from his mouth. He is drinking milk but he won't eat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name and age?

Jack. He is about 9 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?

I have three cats and one of them threw up this morning. It might have been Jack but I don't know

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

He just threw the milk he drank back up

I am sorry to hear that Jack is drooling and vomiting.

Drooling can be related to eating something bitter (a bug or plant) or bad tasting, having something caught between his teeth, nausea, or mouth pain from gum disease or bad teeth.

Because he is vomiting too organ failure, or a gastrointestinal or urethral tract obstruction with secondary nausea are other possibilities.

I would look closely into his mouth if you can to see if you can see redness, ulcers or anything caught.

If he had been sneezing and you see any redness or ulcers some upper respiratory infections, like Calici Virus, can also cause ulcers and these are painful, so they do cause drooling, and that is definitely a possibility in a cat that is excessively drooling and lethargic. Look for ulcers inside of his mouth, such as on his tongue and hard palate (roof of his mouth). If he has them the ulcers could be caused by Calici virus, which is an upper respiratory virus that can cause ulcers and joint pain as well.

Some cats get sicker than others and young, healthy adult cats seem to tolerate a respiratory infection and fight them off better than very young kittens or older cats. An upper respiratory infection in cats is just like a cold in you and I, and these are commonly caused by a virus. These are easily caught by breathing in virus particles in the air from a sneeze or nasal or eye discharge.

Please check his litter box and see if there is any evidence of him urinating today.

I am most concerned that he has a urinary tract blockage. A male cat's urethra is quite small in diameter.

If inflammation is present or crystals form it can easily become blocked.

When that happens urine builds up in the bladder, places back pressure on the kidneys which affects their ability to function, waste products build up in the blood, and electrolyte levels become unbalanced causing the cat to drool, vomit and become quite lethargic.

If he is blocked this is a true medical emergency, he can die from the toxins and changes in electrolytes in his blood which can lead to fatal heart arrhythmias.

He needs immediate veterinary care.

Here is a link if you wish more information about lower urinary tract disease: http://pets.webmd.com/cats/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease

Can you palpate his belly?

In the back part, near his rear legs/spine, is his bladder. If you can feel a balloon shaped structure, can be tangerine sized to softball size that is likely his full bladder. Some cats are so painful they won't even let you touch their belly.

I highly recommend that you have your fellow see a veterinarian right away today if you cannot tell if he is able to urinate, especially if his abdomen is tense and painful with pressure.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****