Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 10 1/2 year old siamese has been limping off and in for…

My 10 1/2 year...

My 10 1/2 year old siamese has been limping off and in for the last couple of months. I was petting him about a week ago and felt a "lump" on his back close to where his back ends and his tail begins. I just felt it again't it is still there he doesn't seemed to be terribly bothered by it. Any ideas on what it may be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the siamese?

Nothing that I can think of at this point thank you

11/20/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth - I'm so sorry your question wasn't responded to sooner - different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your kitty's problem, and want to help. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I understand

I'm not sure the limping and the lump are related, though they could be - can you tell which leg the cat is limping on? (what is the kitty's name?)

His name is Pounce (for obvious reason when he was a kitten) it is his rear right leg opposite side as the lump

Ok yes, then probably 2 separate things, neither sounds like an emergency, but would be good to be checked out in person in the next few days by your vet.

Do you think it has gotten larger in a short amount of time? That can be more concerning.

Growths can be a bit tricky in cats, they are very common as they get older, and many of the types that they get are not cancerous. But just going by how it looks at a glance or how it feels, doesn't really tell us the likelihood of being cancerous.

The very best way to know if a growth is cancerous, is to look at some of the cells within it under the microscope. A biopsy is the most thorough way to do this, but we can often do an easier 'cheat' to get a tiny sample by putting a little needle into it to get a few cells out to look at under the microscope. Based on how the cells look, we can better gauge if it has cancerous characteristics or not.

Thank you it does apear to have changed somewhat not sure if it is bigger but it definitely has chsnged. The first time I felt it, it was unmovable now it feel more textured and pliable, still does not move from the area just feels different

If I had to guess, it sounds like the bump could be a cyst, which normally is not cancerous, and sometimes we can drain it while getting the sample where it will deflate temporarily.

You vet would also be able to palpate at the same visit to see where the limp might be coming from, if he needs some medication short term, or if it is feeling like a bigger issue like arthritis where he might need something like a joint supplement.

Hopefully they can get you in within the next few days and get some more concrete answers for you.

Does that help?

It does thank you I was originally thinking arthritis due to his age and his jumping from high places to hard surfaces when he was younger, natural to go there, but then I felt the lump and instantly went to a mass, hoping it is just a benign cyst or Lippm***** *****ke you may be thinking. I will definitely get him to his vet this week thank you for your time
Sorry should say lipoma
I have medical background as a human nurse. So I know some terminology. Sorry. I should have offered that prior but I am not an animal medical person I leave that to the experts.

Yes cats can sometimes get fatty growths like lipomas too, even if not overweight - we can usually give you a good answer of how concerned we need to be if we can get even a little drop of something out of the lump, and I'm betting that won't be hard to do.

Oh no problem - it helps me if I know people have a medical background, makes some things easier to explain :)

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Oh and since you are a medical person - we normally classify the needle poke as a fine needle aspirate (FNA), most vets are comfortable looking at the cytology to see if there is any criteria for neoplasia - not as complete as a biopsy, but for not needing anesthesia and being able to do quickly in the office, it is something most of us do every day, multiple times a day.

Thanks for the great rating!

thank you I understand that terminology. I just didnt want to sound arrogant or like a know it all. It let's you be the professional without thinking your client comes off as knowing more than they do. That is why I let you do your thing without feeling pressure or like I knew more than I did. I just wanted you to be able to be the doctor without any issues. My daughter is a vetrimaran I again didnt want to be "one of those family memebers" that expect her to give out care or diagnosis because we are family. And she is half a country from us anyway. I guess if I had thought it was really something or felt like it was bothering him alot I would have called her but I again don't want to be one of those parents. I really sincerely ***** ***** time with this.

Not a problem at all, that's great that your daughter is a vet - a lot of these things are impossible to diagnose precisely without seeing them in person (and I'm sure it would not have been a bother to your daughter at all), but sometimes people just feel better at least knowing what some of the possibilities could be to ask their vet more about. And also can help to know if it sounds like an emergency or just get checked out within a few days.

Hoping it is nothing serious for Pounce, but if you have more questions after the visit feel free to come back to our chat-

I will definitely do that, I thank you for your time. Have a nice rest of your night

You're very welcome, same to you :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth