Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat who is very old seems to be having breathing problems…

Customer Question
My cat who is...

My cat who is very old seems to be having breathing problems seems to be "crying" as if in pain (maybe) and when she tries to get up she falls immediately she seems very week she was perfectly fine this morning she ate drank water and seemed to be good she has she always had the tendency to be very "chill" she doesn't really do much but eat and sleep and occasionally play around but this is not like her to "cry" or meow like this she's an outdoor cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** I don't exactly know how old she is but she like a middle aged cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Pancha?

12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pancha?

She's always been very calm likes to eat a lot for a cat and has had a procedure in which she can no longer have kittens her symptoms stared late in the afternoon of today

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 8 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. I am sorry to hear Pancha is experiencing breathing issues and weakness.

These are both concerning signs but not specific to indicate any one particular problem. If she has rapid respirations, cries out and then falls over this may indicate she is having an arrhythmia or other heart issue that is leading to significant distress and then she feels weak (faint). It could mean there is something going on in her lungs such as pneumonia, fungal infection, heart failure, accumulation of fluid (pleural effusion or pulmonary edema), and the list continues.

I wish there was an easy answer for what could be causing this but I am afraid these are signs that indicate she needs to be seen. If she has worsened in any way over the past few hours, then this is a medical emergency and you need to have her seen right away. Any time we have breathing issues is not a problem that we should do a wait-and-see approach.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.