Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

She has round worms in her vomit and I'd like to now how to

She has round worms in...
She has round worms in her vomit and I'd like to now how to treat it. I also have two other cats but I don't know if they have it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, not that I know of
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** sh'es 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pippa?
Customer: No, she's otherwise healthy
11/18/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Pippa has roundworms. It is common for kittens to have these parasites. It it possible for her to spread them to the other cats, but not common. They would have to eat her feces, with worm eggs in the feces, to get them from her.

You can treat roundworms with Pyrantel (or Strongid; same thing just different names) at least twice, about 7 to 10 days apart.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Where can I get the medicine from?

You can buy it online but will have to buy a bottle; more than you would need. You can ask your veterinarian for two doses for her, if they have seen and examined her. If they have not seen and examined and vaccinated her, you might want to get her started on vaccinations.

You may be able to find it in pet stores.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you may have.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
How might she have gotten this?

Actually, kitten can be born with round worms, from the mother. It is very common to see round worms in kittens. As adults, they can get them from eating prey like mice.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I've had her for 3 months. Could she have had it all that time?

Yes.

Round worms do not usually make cats sick and owners don't know they have them until they vomit or pass the worms.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
She has had some vaccines though
What can she get from at my home? She only goes on the patio an doesn't have access to creatures to eat

I usually worm kittens with Pyrantel when I vaccinate them.

She probably got them from her mother.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Would you recommend worming all three of them just to be sure?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
They sleep in the same bed and hang out a lot together

It would be safe to do so, but the older cats probably do not have roundworms. You can have stool samples checked to see if they have microscopic round worm eggs in their stool.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you for the information. I'll get a bottle online because even having a too large bottle is cheaper than going to the vet with cats.
Thanks again
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Sorry, one more thing

You are welcome! What is the one thing?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Did you say two doses?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Might I be able to see worms in their feces?

Yes, I dose at least twice about 7 to 10 days apart. A third dose is not a bad idea if you buy a whole bottle.

You may see worms in the feces, passing because they are dying after you worm her.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it.
Have a good night.

You are welcome!

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating!

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian