Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He started having seizures and my vet here told me to give…

Customer Question
He started having seizures...

He started having seizures and my vet here told me to give Blaze children's allergy meds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Blaze is about 6 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blaze?

He is the only one to have this and I want to find something to help him

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/18/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. If he is truly having seizures, I am not sure how allergy medications would help him. If he is having seizures more often than monthly, or they last more than 5 minutes, then he probably needs to be on an anti-seizure medication, like phenobarbital or Keppra. He is a little younger than when we usually see dogs have idiopathic epilepsy (no known cause), but it is still possible. At the same time, he at least needs routine blood work to make sure there isn't an underlying liver, kidney, adrenal gland or pancreatic issue; especially before starting any long term medication. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Blaze is doing and to see if you have any other questions.