Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My son died on December 18, 2016 of complications of Kidney

Customer Question
My son Sam died on...
My son Sam died on December 18, 2016 of complications of Kidney failure and his cat Dolly Boy is a 10 year old Cornish Rex. Dolly stopped using the litter box to poo about two weeks ago. This was a gradual process. I know we have both been mourning Sam's death. I don't know what to do with Dolly Boy. He is ruining my wooden floors.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Dolly Boy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: His stools are always loose, not firm like my alley cats stools.
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/18/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your son, and that Dolly Boy seems to be having some issues :(

When stools are loose, there can sometimes be a factor of an urgency issue, where they feel like they have to go *right now* and can't make it to the litter box. Or sometimes they can be uncomfortable and have intestinal cramping, where they associate discomfort with the litter box - 'It hurts when I go in there, I'm going to go somewhere else'.

You said Dolly Boy is about 10, has he had a check up with the vet recently?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Good morning, Doctor.No, he has not had a checkup. Only his ears cleaned and nails trimmed monthly. His ears produce a great deal of wax! Is it possible to have his stool analyzed for a modest price? Cost has been an issue.
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 25 days ago

Yes, usually a fecal check for parasites is pretty inexpensive (I would say $20-25 at an average hospital but you could always call to ask beforehand), if you bring him in for a check up they can often run the test while you are there to determine if there is any specific parasite treatment he needs right then. If no parasites are seen, they can talk about other medication options that may be helpful. Usually if we can get their poop back to a normal consistency, they will get back on track for using the box.

Some cats do seem to have more active ear wax glands, and their wax is darker than ours so it is more noticeable, but doesn't usually cause problems for them for infections or anything like that. It doesn't hurt to clean it, but it generally doesn't hurt to leave it either.

Does that help?

Also depending on what if anything is found on exam, for a cat his age we will often recommend checking some basic blood things like a thyroid level, kidney values, blood count etc to see if there is any bigger medical condition lurking related to the symptoms if we are not finding an easy explanation. You can always find out the price before you agree to anything but it often gives us a lot of good info on how things are working internally.

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian