Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 2 year old F6c Savannah Cat has issues with balance, this…

Customer Question
My 2 year old...

My 2 year old F6c Savannah Cat has issues with balance, this is very new (aprox. 1 week). Her full panel blood work came back normal (minus a little elevated protein levels) so all internal organs are healthy, toxicity also normal. Her back legs mostly the problem, she tends to lose her balance easily more on her back legs. Vet gave her 100mls saline intravenously that helped alleviate dehydration, she's eating a little less than normal; her toilet habits still remain normal. I've already spent $800 just on this, I'm not sure what to do as the vet I've gone to doesn't seem to know what to do and I feel he doesn't know what to do. I brought in urine sample and am waiting on this, feeling it will also come back normal. What do you recommend/think? She was completely healthy before this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Tivashah is her name

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tivashah?

Not that I can think of at this moment

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

You noted it was mostly Tivashah's back legs affected, but does she have any signs with the front legs at all?

Any circling, head tilting or pressing her head into things?

Any seizures or tremors?

Any chance of head trauma or toxin exposure?

No to toxins, no to head circling/tilting/pressing in to things, no siezures, yes to front legs more steady. I'm with her 90%+ of the time & haven't seen any trauma to head. Toxins blood work came out completely clean, no exposure.

Hello again,

Now as you have said her forelegs are more steady, that suggests to me that they are not 100%. Is that correct?

She seems to slip sometimes on front legs, but they are definately tones better than back. Front legs seem very close to normal

Hello again,

Now the reason I ask is because Tivashah's signs do raise a few issues. That said, if the front legs are not completely normal, we'd lean away from lower spine involvement or orthopaedic (bone/muscle) based issues in the back end (which I do feel her vet would have noted if those were an issue here). Instead if she has balance issues affecting the body as a whole (even if one area is worse) this suggests a problem at the level of the cervical spine (up at the neck) or brain. Now without obvious trauma and given her age, I do need to warn you that these signs would raise concerns for a possible Toxoplasmosis or FIP infection. Both could certainly elevate her proteins (which globulins will be up with infection/inflammation) and aren't checked on routine bloods. Therefore, that would be a possible next step here. That said, if you don't feel that Tivashah's vet is confident in diagnosing/treating her then you may wish to request a referral to a veterinary neurologist. They can test for both of these but if needed they can take a spinal tap +/- an MRI should we need to rule out a brain bleed, swelling, or mass. Of course, as they do that they will assess her spine and those tests can be used for concerns there at the same time. And if we do cut to the chase in that manner, it would give us the more straightforward means to confirm which issue is present and most importantly treat to nip this in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

her globulins are up to. Blood work points to inflammation. What is the treatment for toxoplasmosis or FIP? Will she be back to normal health. Do I need to prepare myself for losing her?

Hello again,

Toxoplasma is sensitive to long courses of Clindamycin and can be cured; where FIP isn't as treatable (it can be managed with immune suppression and antivirals but can ultimately be fatal for most cats). But we'd really want her vet checking for those right off the bat so we can determine where we stand with her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Thank you for your help. At least I have some possible directions. One last question, sorry. If I'm wrong & she did hit her head when I didn't see, is this treatable too?

You are very welcome, my dear.

If there was a head trauma (which would need to be quite hard, so usually we'd know if it had happened), then usually time and kitty safe anti-inflammatories would help reduce that for her. Its rare for those to cause lasting damage unless they'd had a serious accident like having been hit by a car.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Again, thank you for your help and direction. I hope and pray I'm not losing her. At least I have some possibilities to ask about. I've felt very in the dark. Warm regards

You are very welcome and I do hope we can get to the heart of this for Tivashah and find a treatable cause we can clear for her.

Warm wishes,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Thanks for the follow up. Eventhough her blood work came back healthy I've decided to agressively treat her with antibiotics for taxi plasma for about 6 weeks. Wish us luck.
we've been on 25ml Climdamyacin 2x a day (based on her 2.4kg weight (healthy=3.06 kg). I noticed it has helped her demigod, eating & drinking (maintaining her hydration). But she still only eats (Crack!) Friskies grilled chicken in gravy (bad 4 her) as the raw & organic healthy pate etc versions she ignores. I try adding KMR powder (she won't touch the milk) but can only a very little or she won't touch the grilled chuck & gravy. I also try hiding high cal & vit paste bc she won't eat if she knows. She has stopped walking all together has hard time turning herself in bed w me. Back legs weak & front legs have weakened now too. However, after a couple days of little to no movement on her own, she surprised me & fought to stand up & wobble a few steps to other side of bed where I had temp set her treat bag. She's tried moving a few more times since. Should I read anything in2 this? Should we be adding a medication to help w inflamation & muscles that she can take for more than a couple days that won't hurt her?