Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He's running around, hiding, and licking himself almost

He's running around, hiding, and...
He's running around, hiding, and licking himself almost violently. He doesn't respond to my calling him when he's like this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Hobbes, 3 yr
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hobbes?
Customer: He's an indoor cat.
11/18/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Hobbes is licking himself excessively, running around, and hiding. It sounds like Hobbes is very distressed. Can you please tell me if Hobbes is licking himself any place particular?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
On his feet and tail, down his back, in a very aggressive manner. Definitely unusual. He then runs under furniture and the bed. He does not respond to my calls which is very unusual.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I would prefer to communicate this way for now.

Not a problem. The phone call is automatically offered by the website, but I can answer your question with text only. Cats will do this commonly when they have been bitten or if something has been applied to the skin. A flea bite is one of the more common conditions that can cause these signs. There are a few things you can do to help Hobbes. One is to apply a flea prevention if he does not already have one. Another is to bathe him. A third option is to give him Benadryl to help decrease the itch.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Benedril? how much?

Yes, over-the-counter children's Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1 teaspoon every 12 hours used as needed.

Children's Benadryl comes in a liquid at a concentration of 12.5 mg / 5 mL. You can use a syringe to give the liquid, or put the liquid in a small portion of food.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
If bathing, flea powder and Benadryl are not the answers, what are my options?

If she is still itching after all of that then she will need to be seen by a veterinarian so they can give her an injection to stop the itching. Usually this is done with a steroid.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK, I'll keep a watch over him and see if this works.

That sounds good. Let me know if you have any other questions. Take care

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian