Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Female cat 12 years old lost a lot of weight and vomits at

least once a day JA: I'm...
female cat 12 years old lost a lot of weight and vomits at least once a day
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: this started when we tried to switch her cat food
11/17/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. What is her name? How long has the once a day vomiting been going on? Why was the food switch done?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Her name isNikki. It's been since August. Thought we would switch to a "healthier" blend because she was 15 pounds and maturing. Would not eat for two days with the mix of the new food with old. So we went back to the Naturals. She's down to ten pounds. Usually throws up after drinking water

I like that name. Ok. When I have a cat that is her age that comes into my clinic with a history similar to this, these are the things going through my mind. 1) Diabetes. This is something that can show as weight loss, but typically also has early increased drinking and urination tied into it. 2) Hyperthyroidism. This is a very common one that has weight loss with vomiting. 3) Chronic renal disease can look similar. 4) Various cancers. How do you go about figuring out what is the cause and what can be done? Honestly, getting her to your vet to have them do some blood work and a urine evaluation helps to rule in / out the first 3. They are pretty directly determined. If they are ruled out, then the cancer is screened for with further testing with x-rays / ultrasound. I'll be honest and say that she should be seen by your vet as soon as possible as getting her diagnosed earlier gives the best chance to do something for her.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
ok thank you

I'm hoping for the best for Nikki. Let her rest and see what they find.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thanks for the information.

No problem! Take care!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian