Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has itchy flaky skin, She is 5. Cali, She has fleas…

Customer Question
Hi my cat has...

Hi my cat has itchy flaky skin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

She is 5.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Cali

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cali?

She has fleas and is itching all the time. I gave her programme for cats on November 1st

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I tried getting comfortis prescribed but my vet has never heard of that. Can you do it?

Can you tell me if Cali is indoor only or indoor/outdoor? Do you have any animals other than Cali that go inside and outside?

Have you tried a flea product called revolution? Programme is not working very well and I am not a fan of comforts either as its kill rate slows down after 2 weeks so the fleas come back. Revolution or bravecto are better products will work better and get her feeling better.

With her skin being the way it is right now she may have a secondary bacterial skin infection which needs an injection of antibiotics and steroids to help with the symptoms.

Unfortunately I cannot script out any medications since I cannot examine Cali. That is a national law for veterinarians that we cannot prescribe things without a doctor patient relationship ( meaning examined the pet). I know that is frustrating.

She is indoor only, and there are 2 other cats who also are only indoors.

I also need to recommend that we take care of the environment where Cali lives so we need to treat your household for fleas using an exterminator or a product that will kill fleas off from the store. You will need to treat the environment now and again in 3 months and keep all the cats on flea preventions for at least 3 months to get this cleared up

You can try some topical therapies to help her skin like medicated shampoos Here is a good one you can get off amazon.com if she will let you bathe her.. You have to let it sit at least 7 minutes before rinsing to get the full effects.

https://www.amazon.com/Douxo-Calm-Shampoo-Dogs-Cats/dp/B0010V5LNE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510950193&sr=8-4&keywords=douxo+shampoo&dpID=31hwlnZgoPL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Also the bravecto for cats is wonderful because it lasts for 12 weeks which will take us to the 3 months

https://www.1800petmeds.com/Bravecto+for+Cats-prod11762.html

Your regular veterinarian can write a script and you can get bravecto or revolution online at 1800 pet meds.com or if your veterinarian carries it.

I would also vacuum really well every floor and furniture with fabric where the cats lay as the flea eggs are microscopic and the vacuum can help decontaminate your household faster.

Good luck with Cali let me know how she does

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.