Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He started showing signs of being sick after he caught this…

Customer Question
Second opinion] hi, he...

Second opinion] hi, he started showing signs of being sick after he caught this baby rabbit,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Lost weight his spine is boney, but his belly is fat

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

I call him old man but he is only about 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Old Man?

He started to sneeze today, he eats good and goes potty regular

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I reviewed your previous post and need to draw your attention to his "fat belly" which appears not to have been emphasized by the previous expert. When caretakers notice that their pet's abdomen appears distended, an abdominal effusion (free fluid in the abdominal cavity) is often found. Effusions can represent right-sided heart failure, liver, and kidney failure. They can also arise secondary to the inflammation associated with infection (bacterial, viral) or neoplasia (important at his age). If I can confirm an effusion by palpation (feeling) of the abdomen or by imaging (X-rays or ultrasound) of the abdomen, I then will needle aspirate a small amount of it and examine the aspirate for its physical qualities and cellularity. That, then, gives me a direction for further studies.

Sneezing is most often associated with geriatric feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) infection. The infection should be transient and abate within 1-3 weeks. It's often associated with a stressor which allows FHV-1 to come out of its carrier state and cause active symptoms such as his sneezing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian