Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I HAVE A THREE MONTH MALE KITTEN. HE BUTWHOLE SEEMS TO BE…

Customer Question
I HAVE A THREE...

I HAVE A THREE MONTH MALE KITTEN. HE BUTWHOLE SEEMS TO BE IRRATED N A LITTLE OF HIS TALKE FROM DIRHEEA I JUST WORMED HIM YESTERDY WITH STUFF I PICKED UP FROM A VET

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?

HE GETS VER AGGRESIVE WHEN HE STARTS TO CRY

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

KINKY

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Kinky has irritation around the rectum and diarrhea. I am sorry to hear about that. The irritated rectum can be caused for a few different reasons, but it sounds like the diarrhea is most likely the reason. Were there any recent food changes that you are aware?

No it’s been a week just about. . But he is a outside kitten

Thank you for that information. Diarrhea can be caused by a few different things, especially for cats that live outdoors. One of those reasons is from an intestinal parasite. It sounds like you gave him a dewormer, which is great, but there are other microscopic parasites that do not get treated with this treatment. A fecal exam would be best to see if Kinky has giardia or coccidia, both of which are microscopic parasites.

Also, if you are able to get near him and handle him, he may benefit from an anti-inflammatory spray if there is severe redness on the skin. These sprays are available over-the-counter or from your veterinarian and they will have a steroid ingredient in it. Ultimately, treating the diarrhea will decrease the redness.

You can also increase the fiber in the food to help "bulk up" the feces to treat the diarrhea. You can do this by adding canned pumpkin to the food or even Metamucil. Both are fiber sources.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is Kinky doing?