Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is being treated in an emergency clinic for severe…

Customer Question
My cat is being...

My cat is being treated in an emergency clinic for severe anemia most likely caused by lymphoma. He has diarrhea (probably due to a secondary infection) and is on IV fluids and getting blood transfusions to boost his red count. However, he has had virtually zero food intake for 3 days and was not getting enough calories even before that. The vet at the vet hospital does not seemed concerned about the fact that he's had no calories in days and not enough before that, and have not syringe fed him or gotten food into him otherwise. Should I be concerned that they are making the anemia worse and preventing him from regenerating red blood cells again by not giving him some king of nutritional intake?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

I described the current situation, but am happy to provide more detail if needed

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. I agree with you. 3 days is too long for a cat to not eat. It may make it more difficult for her to bounce back, but it can also seriously damage her liver (hepatic lipidosis). If she hasn't eaten in 3 days, she most likely needs some type of feeding tube inserted so they can start to give her nutrition during her hospital stay. A nasal feeding tube can be removed when she comes out of the hospital, but an esophagostomy tube usually stays in for weeks before removing, but they can give a lot more nutrition that way. You can also use it at home to supplement her calories. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

The immediate problem is that he is not regenerating red blood cells, and also has diarrhea (no blood in diarrhea). His red count is about 21 after a transfusion and enough fluids to completely hydrate him.The doctor that is treating him at the veterinary hospital has told me twice that he is not immediately concerned with getting some food into him. I understand that the red blood cell regeneration issue could be caused by cancer in his bone marrow, but could it also be caused by severe malnutrition? He is definitely extremely malnourished and in addition to not having proper color I can take for the last two weeks, has eaten absolutely nothing in the last 3 days. Basically, I am trying to find out if I should be insistent that he have a feeding tube inserted, or if there could possibly be a legitimate medical reason to let him continue starving. Cost is not really an issue, I just want to do what is best for him.
There was a typo, I meant to say proper caloric intake, not proper color

Yes, malnutrition can definitely affect his ability to regenerate red blood cells if he is even able to in the first place. I still get concerned about it causing more liver damage with the starvation. Any veterinary internist would tell you that at this point, he needs a feeding tube inserted to give him the best chance to get over this. Not saying it will absolutely save him, but he has a much better chance. I would insist on it. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your kitty is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian