Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She wont eat second day now. A 16 year old cat just suddenly…

Customer Question
She wont eat second...

She wont eat second day now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A 16 year old cat just suddenly stopped. i offered her canned food and dry dood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the cat's name?

Riley a black and white.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello. I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
with a cat that age, there are many things that can cause a decreased appetite. If she is an indoor cat and not exposed to anything outside and there have been no changes in the home or in her diet, then we have to look for internal metabolic conditions that can effect older cats. Some of the most common diseases that I worry about are kidney disease, thyroid disease, diabetes and certain cancers. While this may just be a primary digestive issue and mild stomach upset, it is very important on cats this age to have them examined and have some basic bloodwork completed. It can tell you so much about the health of your cat.
I realize that this requires a vet visit, but if her symptoms do not improve, that will be the next step.Typing more....
Im the meantime, you can try to give her some pepcid AC 2.5 mg twice daily for possible stomach upset. Try offering some low sodium chicken broth or chicken Gerber baby food.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to help.If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.
Keep me posted on how things are going.Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole
I didn't hear back from you but I wanted to see if you had any questions or concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian