Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My ragdoll Izzee Has black stuff in her ears and coming out

of her eyes. she...
My ragdoll Izzee Has black stuff in her ears and coming out of her eyes. she sorta keeps her eyes closed she also is licking and scratching, she has lost a good bit of hair and looks awful. Have been treating her since August. No flees, no ticks. I am going to see the vet again today but it seems that we are not getting anywhere Can you give me any suggestions
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Izzee and she is 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Izzee?
Customer: She seems to be really warm at times he has treated her eyes, ears and tried steriods which seem to help a little
11/16/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. My first thought here is that we are dealing with an allergy of some sort. The problem is determining if it is food or environmental. If she had a mild to no response to injectable or oral steroids, then I may be looking more towards a food allergy she is developing. If she is not on a good flea preventative every month, I would definitely start there. You want to make sure that fleas are not contributing to the equation, although it doesn't sound like your typical flea problem, unless you see hair loss, skin lesions or black dirt around the base of the tail; or if you see tapeworms around her rear end or stool. It would probably help to get her back on steroids or even try Atopica for environmental allergies. I would talk to your vet about putting her on a dietary food trial to rule out food allergies as well. They will most likely have either a prescription hypoallergenic diet or a prescription limited ingredient diet to get this started. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
She was on soresto for over a year. He put her on revolution. He also had me put her on a science diet cat food. Nothing seems to be helping her. Thank you for trying to help me

You are welcome. What Science Diet food was she on and for how long?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Optimal care

Thanks. That is not a diet to use to help rule out a food allergy. It has many of the common ingredients that result in food allergies in cats. She would need to be on either D/D or Z/D from Science Diet a minimum of 12 weeks with nothing else but water passing through her mouth. Royal Canin IVD diets or Hypoallergenic diet are also commonly used a well. I think it would help to try Atopica or even consider allergy testing, but I would definitely put her on a true dietary food trial to rule out food allergies. Let me know if you have any further concerns.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Trsaderm for eyes. Atopica fir dermatitis

Is that what she is on now? Tresaderm is for the ears. It should go into the eyes.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian