Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 3 years old cat has coccidia again. The vet has treated…

Customer Question
Hello, my 3 years...

Hello, my 3 years old cat has coccidia again. The vet has treated him with all possible options and he says that after successfull treatments he gets the parasite again. He is an indoor cat and we are very careful with cleaning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Matias

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Matias?

He lives with another cat, that is two years old and that for some reason doesnt get coccidia. Maybe is the inmune system. I am giving a homeopatic inmune system enhancer. It is engystol from the german laboratory heel.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
11/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Fine, situation is stable. I consulted other veterinarian doctor and he believes that the coccidia is latent until something affects the organism decreasing the inmune system and providing the chance to the coccidia to become active. He believes that maybe the food (taste of the wild - dry food), might produce some sensitivity reaction in his organism? He believes that after a deparasite process we should change his food for prescribed, enhance his inmune system (he takes german homeopacic pills engystol) and enhance his digestive probiotica. We have applied "one"deparasiter twice but coccidia gets back.

What medication has been used each time to treat the coccidia?

he didnt stand well "total" so we changed to "one" and worked fine until he got coccidia once again in a couple of months.
hello we used 'total' the first time and he had some reaction (vomiting) so we changed it for 'one' that was ok but in short time he got coccidia again. besided a veterinarian specialized in parasites created a liquid vaccine based on his poo, that had to be ingested for a couple of days a week for three weeks , or so. It worked fine and we repeated the treatment twice but in short time he got coccidia again. and there is where we stand now.....

Can you share pictures of the labels for these medications? I am not familiar with coccidia treatment called "total" or "one".