Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is pooping in my closet and my shoes? Nothing changed.

Customer Question
He is pooping in...

He is pooping in my closet and my shoes? Nothing changed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Frisky and he is12 he is an indoor outdoor cat he has a litter box

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Frisky?

12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frisky?

It's mushy poop

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
11/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

This happened yesterday so too soon to knoe

Is he indoors only?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Is he urinating outside of the box, as well?

Is he declawed?

He is not urinating outside box.. he does it mainly outside. We switched to dry because he was vomiting all the time.. sometimes a few times a day.. the vomiting stopped since we switched from frisky pate food. Also when we tried to switch back he wouldn't eat it. He liked the dry better

To clarify, do you mean he mainly urinates outdoors?

How quickly did you switch the foods and when did this happen?

Is he declawed?

Have any diagnostics been performed recently such as bloodwork, fecal analysis, etc? Do you have results to share?

He has not been declawed because he is indoor/ outdoor.. he mainly goes outside to do his business we have a litter for back up so I don't know why he pooped in my closet upstairs on my shoes. Second time... no analysis done by vet.... (extremely difficulty to get him there he has to be drugged and he foams at the mouth when I took him to the vet he last time )

Two months

To clarify, you switched the food rapidly 2 months ago and his stool has remained mushy?

We switched his food around two months ago from canned food to dry.. his vomiting stopped but last week and yesterday he pooped in my shoes... he won't go back to canned he won't eat it anymore

Anytime a diet switch is done it needs to be performed slowly over 7-10 days. I recommend 10 full days with a 10% switch each day. This will minimize the risk of GI upset such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hiding, reclusive behavior, etc.

If Frisky is not typically one to hide in the closet and use the bathroom, this may be due to stress or the recent change of diet. Although he is not one that travels well to the vet, I do think you have good reason to seek diagnostics with the vomiting you've witnessed in the past, the defecation in the closet/shoes and pickiness about his food. Conditions that might exist and contribute to the symptoms include liver disease, kidney disease, pancreatitis, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, etc. Additionally, with him going outdoors, it will be nigh impossible to keep him from consuming foods that other owners might have left out for other animals, as well as prey he might come across. Intestinal parasites and protozoan cannot be ruled out with the mushy stool, as well, which may be transmissible to humans, as well, such as roundworms, tapeworms or giardiasis. You might consider a mobile vet coming to your home to address the concerns you've shared with me and keep Frisky from having to go through travel to the vet's office.

At home, there are a few things to try.

If you see any additional vomiting, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

To help with the mushy stool, I would use a bland diet for a few days, as well. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms.

Note: If he's unwilling to eat a bland diet, try mixing in a tablespoon or two of pure canned pumpkin with his regular diet to help firm the stool.

After the symptoms have resolved, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

How do I find a mobile vet?

I can assist, if you like. Otherwise, google "mobile vet" and add your city and state following.

How can you know what is wrong with him? Where are you located
He won't eat the old food so the weaning him off is not going to work

There's no way for me to be 100% certain which is why I have recommended a vet visit for additional diagnostics. I have given you information based on what his symptoms suggest when cats, in general, act the same way.

You won't be feeding the old food. You'll be feeding the food he's eating now and, as mentioned, if he won't take the bland diet you can add pure canned pumpkin to the food he does like. This should help firm the stool.

Checking in. How is Frisky today?

he pooped in the litter

Excellent. Was the stool normal in consistency?

It was mushy
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago

How did he take to the bland diet as recommended above?

If he was not a fan, has pure canned pumpkin been tried with his regular food?

haven't been able to try it. He puked a little bit of the dry food. It came out in the same shape..undigested. Also his eye now seems messed up. One eye has tears and he is squinting

It sounds like he may have sustained an injury to the eye. Squinting often indicates the eye is painful. If this persists, you will want your vet to examine the eye and stain it to check for corneal abrasions which may not be visible to the naked eye. You can use cool compresses over that eye for 5-15 minutes a few times a day to help with irritation.

Checking in. How is your companion today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy