Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat is biting primarily on legs. Has some little scabs on…

Cat is biting primarily...

Cat is biting primarily on legs. Has some little scabs on him (not on legs) He use to drool, not as much any more. Sometimes when he is biting himself he gets in a trans-like state and will not snap out of it, until he starts having what seems like a seizure, then snaps out of it and runs off.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Eli - he is around 12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eli?

Was a kitty rescue from a house full of cats, but he has always been an indoor cat at my house. Have another cat and dog at home.

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr Hill. The first rule out needs to be fleas. I would get a flea comb and use it over several areas of his body, looking for live fleas and flea "dirt" which are small black specks. If there is no evidence of fleas, then he may have other environmental allergies or food allergies. How long has he been having this issue? Do you use any flea treatment (if so , what)? What is his normal diet?

He has been having this issue for a few months now. Thought it was getting better if I switched out the scented litter that I was using, which was new (thinking that may have been the issue) I have not used any flea treatment. He has always been the cat with skin (looks like dandruff) issues in the past. Is this something I should be doing on a regular basis? He gets IAM Indoor Cat food, and has now been mixed with a Purina EN food (that was prescribed for my other cat with digestive issues). Hard to feed them both separately

So, ideally indoor kitties should be on a flea preventative too. We bring flea larvae into a household on our shoes. It is not uncommon for indoor only kitties to get fleas if they are not on any preventative. I recommend Seresto collars for all cats/dogs in the household. It is a safe 8 month collar that is very affordable and very effective. I use it on my own cats/dogs. If there is a flea issue and Eli is more sensitive to a flea bite, then he will show signs when the other animals may not. It only takes one bite to set off an issue is a sensitive kitty. If you do the preventative and he is not showing improvement after a couple of months, then I would look at changing his diet to a novel protein/hypoallergenic food for 8 weeks. Natural Balance Venison and green pea is a good over the counter brand. I would also look at starting him on omega 3 fatty acids for his coat. Please ask any follow up questions.

Thank YOU

You are very welcome. Have a great day.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian