Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our kitten(about 2 lbs.) has a persistent eye discharge that…

Customer Question
Our kitten(about 2 lbs.) has...
Our kitten(about 2 lbs.) has a persistent eye discharge that has been affecting him for over a week. We have been using warm compresses to clean the discharge but, the condition persists. It is currently affecting only one eye, and he seems to suffer no other physical effects from it, but it concerns us that it may cause optic problems or macular scarring. We have Bactracillin G that we use for our goats; would this be effective or recommended to inject for the eye infection?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

With this sort of history possible causes include a foreign body in his eye, a scratch of the clear outer part of his eye (the cornea) or an upper respiratory infection that is primarily affecting his eye.

I would keep him indoors if he normally goes outside until his eye is back to normal for several reasons, including he cannot see normally and if this is an infection or a scratch bright sunlight will make it more painful and getting dust and dirt in it will make it worse.

Ideally he would see his veterinarian as eyes are delicate structures and can quickly become infected which can lead to loss of vision.

If a veterinary visit isn't possible right away I can give you a few things to do to make him more comfortable until you can get him seen.

Systemic antibiotics are not very helpful with a primary eye problem. Bactracillin is a plain penicillin antibiotic and those don't penetrate eye tissue well. I would not recommend it.

I recommend flushing the tearing eye copiously with sterile saline which you can purchase over the counter at any drug store. This can help remove any foreign body irritants (like a grass awn or pollens) and should make his eye more comfortable.

Then place artificial tears into his eye every hour or two to keep it hydrated and more comfortable.

Then you can also apply a small amount of Polysporin ointment (only use a new tube so that no bacteria are introduced into the eye) 3 to 4 times daily to his eye to help prevent a secondary bacterial infection. Only do this after flushing the eye as if there is a foreign body in it ointment can cause the foreign body to stick in the eye.

All of these things, sterile saline, artificial tears can be bought over the counter at the drug store. Polysporin is also available at the drug store.

If he is rubbing his eye place an elizabethan collar so he doesn't cause any secondary damage.

Then have his eye checked by his veterinarian as soon as possible, unless his eye looks normal or much improved in a day or so, in which case keep him indoors, continue the artificial tears and Polysporin for another 5 to 7 days and watch him closely for a relapse.

If both eyes were ever affected then a viral upper respiratory infection is the most likely the cause of this, especially in a kitten.

An upper respiratory infection in cats is just like a cold in you and I, and these are commonly caused by a virus, the most common one being Herpes virus. These are easily caught by breathing in virus particles in the air from a sneeze or nasal or eye discharge, or can be passed from a carrier cat (his mom?). In some cats they become a chronic condition leading to nasal congestion that comes and goes or blocked tear dusts from the inflammation.

You can give him an amino acid supplement called L-lysine at a dose of 500mg orally twice daily. If this is caused by a infection Herpes infection this should help, and it won't hurt him. This amino acid interferes with virus replication and will shorten the infection's duration and severity. Good supplements to try are made by the Viralys brand which comes in a powder to add to the food or a tasty gel.

If that doesn't work then he really needs a veterinary examination .

Best of luck with your fellow, let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Jimmy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Douglas "Scat-Cat". How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****