Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 16 year old has been diagnosed with pancreatitis and mild…

Customer Question
My 16 year old...

My 16 year old has been diagnosed with pancreatitis and mild IN

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

My 16 year old has been diagnosed with pancreatitis and mild IBD. she is hungry and whines to eat every 3 hours even through out the night sometimes. she can eat up to 10 cans a day some days. Is this normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Snow

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snow?

She is still playful and drinks a lot of fluids.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to her that Snow has been diagnosed with pancreatitis and IBD and seems to have a huge appetite.

Is she gaining weight?

I know that you said she drinks plenty of fluids but is she drinking more water and urinating more often than usual?

Is she passing large stools that look greasy or undigested?

An increased appetite is not something we normally see with pancreatitis and/or IBD. Most of the time cats with these disease processes are vomiting and/or eating poorly. We often have to struggle to get them to eat.

I am concerned that she may have another disease process going on, particularly if she is not gaining weight.

When we see an increased appetite without weight loss, or in some cases with weight loss, we need to worry about disease processes that either don't allow her to digest and/or absorb the food she is taking (such as diabetes, liver disease, pancreatic insufficiency, or cancer) or those that lead to a higher metabolic rate such as hyperthyroidism or cancer.

In an older cat the more common diseases we see include hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland that overproduces thyroid hormones) or if she is drinking much more and urinating a tremendous amount, diabetes. Sometimes early on with diabetes we only see weight loss with a big appetite.

Both diabetes and hyperthyroidism are treatable or at least manageable.

Hyperthyroidism is not painful, but elevated thyroid hormones can make them feel edgy or nervous and thus cranky or more chatty than usual, increase the heart rate and interfere with sleep, like drinking way too much coffee or energy drinks. Long term if left untreated it can lead to heart disease, hypertension, possible eye damage as well as kidney and liver damage. But if caught and treated many of these things can be reversed.

Hyperthyroidism is controlled with daily oral medication (Tapazole, also called methimazole) or a very special diet called y/d both of which must be done for the rest of his life or treatment with radioactive iodine to selectively kill tumor cells which is usually a one time therapy. There are pros and cons to each therapy which your veterinarian can discuss with you after getting a firm diagnosis.

Diabetes is controlled with diet and insulin therapy.

I think your girl needs to be rechecked and have some further testing done.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian