Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My dog has been vomiting clear, odorless, frothy mucus

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been vomiting clear, odorless, frothy white mucus everyday for over a month. At first, it was only once a day in the mornings, but it has now progressed to happen during the day and sometimes at night. For the first few weeks, he maintained his appetite, but since last week, he has lost most of his appetite only eating partial meals and then starting today, refuses to eat anything (I've been trying to feed him boiled chicken for a few days). He's been drinking water a bit more than usual as he's been losing his appetite. Also, starting yesterday, he's been dry heaving-- trying to vomit, but nothing comes out. He's also drooling more and seems to sometimes be regurgitating and swallowing saliva before he tries to vomit. His poop also has become tacky and small in amount if he can poo at all (seems constipated). I noticed a couple of months ago, he seems to have some allergies that are affecting his paws (they are slightly pink and swollen, but no cracking or sores) and sounds like he has congestion sometimes. I am not sure if it is related. I also haven't changed his dog food since February. I have gone to 3 vets and 2 prescribed antibiotics for the trachea and thyroid and none worked and seemed to only make him feel sicker. All prescribed Cerenia and it did not help with getting his appetite back nor did it stop his vomiting. He has had full blood work done and everything looks normal. They see no evidence of pancreatitis, kidney/liver failure. All of his vitals are normal except they see he has a slight heart murmur. In addition, he had an xray and there is no evidence of bloat or an obstruction anywhere in his body. I'm looking to schedule an ultrasound for him, but I'm getting discouraged. No one has a clear idea of what his condition is and he hasn't eaten a full meal for almost a week. He's running out of energy and losing weight quickly, so I'm hoping for some guidance or recommendations on any potential leads to test for.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He was taking Cerenia, and got a shot of it too and it hasn't helped with his appetite

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Also, he doesn't have the best teeth as I just rescued him from neglect (teeth have some decay, but he had a dental cleaning in September and the vet said he didn't have any bad enough teeth to warrant extractions). However, before that he had a slight gum infection that resulted in a bubble above one of his molars. That however, had disappeared by itself. He is 11 years old and an American Eskimo.
11/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

Yes! Book the ultrasound

I have been teaching veterinary ultrasound for over twenty years.

That is the test that you need to get done. It allows you to look at all of the internal organs. And there is a very good chance that you will be able to find out what is going on finally!

Paul

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian