Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 14 year old male cat isnt feeling good. Has been secluded…

Customer Question
My 14 year old...

My 14 year old male cat isnt feeling good. Has been secluded all day, won't eat or drink, dry warm nose, doesn't want attention, all of which is totally opposite behavior for him. He may have licked some soap dishwater from a pot in the sink. He often has bouts with hairballs and throws them up but this is different. I have two other cats that seem fine. What can I do for him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Monkey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Monkey?

Just that he seems to have a sensitive stomach since 2008, when I think he laid in some bug spray residue and was very sick for about 1 1/2 weeks. The vet couldn't ever say for sure but that I deduced. Since then he has bouts with throwing up, sometimes hairballs, other times not. Tried different foods without change but he has been healthy despite that and loving, playful and outgoing. So I know this is different

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

HI.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I dont think the soap water is an issue here- wanted to mention that first.

I am worried because of his age.

This could be something metabolic like kidney or liver disease or electrolyte disturbances.

It could also be a kidney infection (pyelonephritis) or inflammatory bowel disease or pancreatitis.

I would strongly recommend that you take him to be examined tomorrow AM.

They will need to check his blood and urine and will give him fluids and whatever other medications are needed.

I would also strongly recommend an abdominal ultrasound- This lets us look inside the abdomen at all the organs.

Make senses?
Paul