Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I gave my cat some food that contained chicken broth. After…

Customer Question
I gave my cat...

I gave my cat some food that contained chicken broth. After more research I discovered the chicken broth contains onion powder. Should I be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

She seems fine for now. I just want to know what immediate symptoms I should look out for.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm glad that you know that onions / garlic are bad things for cats to have in their diet. These cause oxidative injuries to red blood cells. If enough is consumed, it will cause enough damage to the cells to potentially cause an anemia situation. It can be a cumulative situation too as well as an acute one. To be honest, the amount of onion in the chicken broth would seem to be extremely minimal and I wouldn't feel that it would be worrisome to cause an anemia situation. What you need to watch for is him getting quiet, weak, breathing with more effort or just getting really run down. I would be extremely surprised if anything happened from this.