Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat's stool looks like grey mud. Spencer is 8 years old.

Customer Question
My cat's stool looks...

My cat's stool looks like grey mud

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Spencer is 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spencer?

He is an indoor/outdoor kitty

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Spencer's stool. Is he acting sick at all? Any vomiting, weight loss, excessive thirst?

I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you did not get help from another expert before now. I will be happy to help, but I am unable to make calls for the website. I can answer questions here, if you would like to proceed.

How long has his stool been like this?

He is a slim cat - not too thin but lean. Noticed the stool beginning of summer. He does not seem to be distressed. The vet gave me worming meds which I gave Also Albon which I gave him. .I think I need to take a stool sample to a more sophisticated vet
He does not act sick - no vomiting and I have not noticed excessive thirst

Thanks for the additional information.

One condition that can make a cat's stool look like grey mud is pancreatic insufficiency, or EPI. EPI is a condition where the pancreas does not produce enough enzymes to digest the food properly. It takes a blood test to confirm this condition, and the treatment is to supplement with digestive enzymes. The digestive enzymes sold over the counter are not the same as the prescription enzymes needed to treat EPI.

I would have a stool sample done, and if no parasites are seen, have him tested for EPI, along with a thorough physical exam.

Please let me know if is this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I did not hear back from you. How is he doing? Do you have any other questions?

Was this helpful?