Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 15 wk old kitten is overly aggressive. We tried

Customer Question
My 15 wk old...

My 15 wk old kitten is overly aggressive. We tried everything suggested online for behavior modification but its not working. She drew blood from my husbands face tonight through biting. Originally She was found on the side of the road and Im sure she was too young to be without her mother. Is it ok to give her valium? She also always wants to eat and gobbles up every thing we give her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?

Pookie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pookie?

As far as her wanting to eat all the time...we dont see any sign of worms and she's definitel not to thin

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr B, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this...I suspect you are correct in saying she was probably pulled from her mom too young...but there is plenty of hope here, it just requires a lot of patience and time. I have raised many kittens in this same category. Here are some cardinal rules that must be followed to a tee:

1. never let a kitten near your face....this is dangerous even with less aggressive kittens

2. Play with them with toys that are not directly attached to you, such as toys on a line and wear them out until they are very tired. Doing this at least twice daily with help alot.

3. Don't ever pet them when they are in their crazy play mode and whatever you do don't play with them with your hands

4. Only pet them when they are very calm and if they start biting stop petting immediatley

if you follow the above suggestions and everyone is on the same page, then this will work but it can take a few months......my last kitten was like this but she has grown into a very gentle adult cat

Finally if your husband has any lymph node soreness or swelling he should see his Dr right away....and honestly with a cat bite of any type he should see a dr. cat bites have resulted in very serious health consequences when not attended to including death in some cases.

I hope this helps you but let me know if you have additional questions. If you do what I have said your kitty should be better in a few months if everyone sticks to the plan. Sincerely, DRB

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

We have tried the things you recommend and will continue to do so however pookie is aggressive 95% of the time. She is always trying to bite even we are not interacting with her. She will run up to us when we are standing or sitting and just attack, even latch on. I've had other cats/kittens and they were not nearly as aggressive. She NEVER lets us hold her for more than a few seconds two or three times a day and we don't push it. Could the fact she acts like she's starving all the time even after just eating have anything to do with her behavior? I don't believe she could have been more than 4 weeks old when we found her. She was sweet as could be for the first few days.

I would have her tested now for Toxoplasmosis and then for Bartonella at 6 months of age. The toxo test can be done by any lab....the Bartonella test should be done by the National Veterinary Lab. I will provide a link for that. If she tests positive for Toxo then I would go ahead and treat her with azithromycin for 30 days. Diamondback pharmacy has good price on that drug and that drug is effective against both toxo and Bart both of which can cause neuro signs/potential aggression....try this and see if this helps...if this does not change anything then I would try getting another kitten. I hope this helps, DRB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B