Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 14 cats that ended up with me after stopping the cat…

Customer Question
I have 14 cats that...
I have 14 cats that ended up with me after stopping the cat rescue I was doing. They all had different reasons that they were unadoptable and I wouldn’t take them to the pound. I take very good care of them feeding them very good food, keeping them indoors and keeping there litter boxes clean. I’v Had some vet bills in the past that have been very costly like dealing with stomatitis and having that cats teeth all pulled as well as several other things. However I know that taking them all to the vet would be more than Even I could afford and unfortunately a kitten that I agreed to bottle feed then return brought ear mites in to my cats and now everyone is miserable. I bought ivermectin 1% and the directions say to X 8lbs ( average weight ) by the number of cats and take 1cc per 40 lb of weight and put it in milk replacer, in a couple of bowels so everyone gets some and do this for 3 days with the idea that bigger cats drink more and smaller cats drink less. Is this ok? I don’t know what to do. Some of them would never let me put anything in there ears so that’s not even an option. Please help.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you have a cat with ear mites, and you are wanting a dose of ivermectin 1% to give. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

It is 14 cats. I spent a lot of time detailing the situation. These were recur cats now in my care

Thank you. I was having a little trouble understanding your original text, but I think I understand the details now. Let me say that ivermectin can be given for a treatment of ear mites. However, giving it orally has not been well studied and it can cause irritation to the stomach lining. Therefore, giving it as an injection tends to work better. Some have been able to use it successfully as a drop application in the ears, which that should decrease stomach sensitivity as well.

The dose you would use is 0.12 cc per cat

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian