Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My grand daughter purchased two female rabbits 4 days ago.

Customer Question
My grand daughter purchased...

My grand daughter purchased two female rabbits 4 days ago. One rabbit was dead in cage and the other rabbit is refusing to Eat. She lives in Texas and she is special needs. Is there any idea how I can help her other than vet. I rescue animals, but no knowledge of rabbits. Vet is always my first act.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the rabbit?

The first rabbit, both females, was dead this morning in cage. Second rabbit seems sick refusing to eat. She says it’s skinny.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the rabbit seem to hurt?

She said she doesn’t appear to be hurt.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the rabbit's name?

I don’t know, I’m sorry. She Facebooked me by pm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the rabbit?

Her message to me: Joseph got 2 rabbits for an early bday present but i woke up and found one dead. Now the other one refuses to eat. Both was females barley fought but i noticed that she has gotten skinny how can i get her to eat and gain weight

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 8 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

HI, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this.

How old and what breed are the rabbits?

Also what are they being fed?

The one that left was told she a orange cotton tail feed them Timothy hay lettuce carrots and celery for right now. And no ma'am on runny poop.
No. I have aphasia. Unable to speak above light whisper. Please text.
Cat Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 8 months ago

Okay. It is important for rabbits to have free access to Timothy hay all of the time. So that is good that she is feeding that. The carrots might be a little too much starch which could cause her to not want to eat because it would make her stomach hurt, so I would stop the carrots, lettuce, celery and just focus on Timothy hay for now. Is she indoor our outdoors? Indoor rabbits can easily develop respiratory infections from stress and from being too close to air vents. She needs to stay cool, but not in the direct flow from air vents.

Indoors now was in outside cage, but not elevated.
Hello?
I will not pay more after answering your questions. I’ll just have her take to a vet and pay the fees. Please refund
Please disregard refund. I received enough info to help her.