Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat Rainbow is 17 years old, thin but still active. today…

Customer Question
My cat Rainbow is...

My cat Rainbow is 17 years old, thin but still active. today she did her normal jump in and out of the shower, and now she is limping/putting no weight on the left back leg. she is not crying,got up slowly and ate a few cat treats. i am trying to self diagnose. arthritis or sprain ? can i give her childrens liquid motrin. wait a day or so and take her to the vet. She does not like the vet???? Thanks for any information you may have

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Rainbow

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rainbow?

No, shes healthy nut has not bee to the vet lately

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 8 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to here about Rainbow.

Since it was an acute injury it sounds more like a sprain to me (probably involving the hip or knee).

Unfortunately there is not a safe over-the-counter human anti-inflammatory product that you can give to cats. please do not use Motrin (it is very dangerous for cats). The safest product would be Onsior, which is very effective. you will need to get this from your veterinarian, because it is a prescription product.

Cat Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson