Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have an Aussie and his mom was a carrier and his dad

Customer Question
I have an Aussie...

I have an Aussie and his mom was a carrier and his dad wasn't a carrier of MDR1 so I don't know if he is or not but he was playing and is not weight barring on his front left paw and I palpated his actual paw and it seems to be higher up and I want to give him aspirin but I'm scared to, does MDR1 affect aspirin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No I don't think so, I mainly just want to know if being a carrier or affected by MDR1 would cause an issue if I administer aspirin

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

If the male was clear of the faulty MDR1 gene (no copies) and the female was a carrier (had one copy but did not show signs) then 25% of their puppies should have 1 copy of the MDR1 gene. These pups may or may not be affected. Ideally you would have your pup tested to know his status.

As of no there is no evidence that aspirin is one of the drugs that is metabolized any differently in dogs carrying a defective MDR1 gene.

Does his limp worsens with exercise?

Is there any swelling on any of the joints of his affected leg?

Is there any pain when you try to flex or extend any of the joints in that leg?

Did this happen suddenly? If so what happened right before he began limping?

Has he had a veterinary examination and radiographs of the affected leg?

Is he bigger then normal for his breed or overweight?

What are you feeding him?

You don't say how old your fellow is. In fast growing puppies we need to be careful that we don't overfeed and push growth rate. Ideally he should be kept on the thin side to decrease stress on growing joints.

Common problems in puppies are elbow dysplasia, eosinophillic panosteitis, hypertrophic osteodystrophy, or shoulder OCD (osteochondrosis dessicans). These all worsen with exercise or excess use. They are diagnosed by radiographs most of the time but sometimes require an MRI to diagnose.

In older dogs shoulder OCD or elbow dysplasia with secondary arthritis, bicipital tendon bursitis, neck intervertebral disc disease or bone or soft tissue tumors are all possible.

Because his limp is nonweight bearing I highly recommend that he see his veterinarian. They will examine him to look for the painful area and will likely want to take radiographs under sedation. Treatment will depend upon diagnosis but can include rest and anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, and omega 3 fatty acids and glucosamine chondroitin supplements to possible surgery to remove cartilage flaps depending upon the problem.

In the meantime I do recommend strict rest. Soft tissue injuries can take months of rest to heal and won't heal if he continues to return to full activity too soon.

I also recommend glucosamine/chondroitin products (like cosequin-ds) plus omega-3 fatty acids. Adding an omega 3 which is a natural anti-inflammatory will help as together they work synergistically, better than either one alone. These supplements can take 6 to 8 weeks to see an improvement with their use.

If the over the counter supplements I mentioned and rest are not enough his veterinarian can prescribe drugs that are more potent. Veterinary drugs we can add include a nonsteroidal like Metacam, Deramaxx, Previcox or Rimadyl. If those aren't enough we can add another drug in the opiod family called Tramadol and/or another drug called Gabapentin.

Aspirin isn't very good for pain control, and long term it can create gastrointestinal upset, ulcers and interfere with clotting. If your pup is healthy otherwise you can use aspirin but not for more than 2 to 3 days consecutively and should always be given with a meal. If you choose to use it watch for lack of appetite, vomiting, blood in the stools or dark tarry stools and stop immediately if you see those. Do not use aspirin if your dog has liver or kidney disease or a history of a sensitive stomach or clotting problems.

The dose for aspirin is 5mg to 10mg per pound of body weight orally every 12 hours (about one 325mg aspirin for a 35 to 70 pound dog every 12 hours). Always give with a meal. Do not use for more than 2 or 3 days.

Be aware if you choose to use aspirin and it doesn't help your veterinarian will be limited on what they can prescribe as there must be a 5 to 7 day washout period between different nonsteroidals or nonsteroidals and steroids.

You can also try alternating warm and cold packs on his painful area for 10 minutes at a time several times a day. Heat reduces painful muscle spasms and cold reduces inflammation.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Other non drug options for joint pain include laser therapy and acupuncture.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian