Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He has a nasal tumor. He's been congested with post nasal…

Customer Question
He has a nasal...

He has a nasal tumor. He's been congested with post nasal drip. He has been on an antibiotic for 5 days now. I also gave him Peroxicam on Saturday and again today, Monday as prescribed. He has,a hard time swallowing I think due to the post nasal drip. How do I alleviate the throat pain?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Max

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?

I'm using my electro sound lymphatic drainage medical device. We're also giving him appetite stimulants, saline solution for babies in his nose, pet rescue, and IV fluids. The doctor gave me the tube of vitamin, minerals and calories but it's too thick since his nose is clogged. I added a little water and I'm feeding it to him with a syringe. By the way, I warm up the IV fluids and saline for his nose so that it's not chilly.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about Max.

Now I would note that the Piroxicam should be helping with throat pain as it is a potent anti-inflammatory. If it isn't, then there would be concern that it could be irritating the throat indirectly with acid reflux. Therefore, you may need to ring his vet about switching to a gentler anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam) or changing to an alternative pain relief (ie Buprenorphine, Tramadol, etc). Alternatively, we could pre-treat with a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.25tsp every 12 hours) to coat the throat and reduce irritation.

Otherwise, do keep up on the saline nasal drops but you can also try to reduce nasal congestion from any discharges with steam treatment. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear discharge from the airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. So, if you find that to be an issue, you can make a little ‘steam tent’ with him in a carrier, the nebulizer next to that, and a bed sheet over both. But again if he has a sore throat despite Piroxicam we may need to treat for acid reflux from that +/- change pain relief to manage this better for Max.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**